Altair is pleased to announce the launch of the 2014 Altair Enlighten Award, the automotive industry’s only award program created specifically to acknowledge innovations in vehicle light-weighting to improve fuel economy and performance.
The Altair Enlighten Award 2014, presented in collaboration with the Center for Automotive Research (CAR), will recognize achievements in weight reduction across the automotive industry from motorcycles to passenger cars, light-trucks to commercial vehicles and buses. Achievements demonstrating the merits of a mixed material lightweighting solution will be encouraged. The award will be open to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), systems/parts suppliers and materials suppliers from all automotive industry segments.
Automakers and their supply base are striving to reduce material usage and fuel consumption while improving vehicle performance and safety through weight reduction techniques. The Altair Enlighten Award provides a platform to showcase the success stories, allowing industry leaders to be recognized by their peers and emphasizing the need to achieve the next level of lightweighting technology.
The objectives of the Altair Enlighten Award are to:
- Honor the greatest achievements in weight saving each year
- Inspire interest from policymakers, educators, students and the general public in the environmental impact, technical depth and diversity of weight saving innovations
- Create further competition for new ideas within the industry
- Provide an incentive to share technological advances
Submit your entry today:
Complete the entry form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 Award Winner – BASF
Chemical company BASF Corporation won the inaugural Altair Enlighten Award competition for the development of its thermoplastic composite front seat pan (by GM Opel, BASF). BASF was presented with the award during the opening session of the 2013 CAR Management Briefing Seminars (MBS), in Traverse City, Mich. First runner up was shared equally by ArcelorMittal for its industry first hot stamped door ring (by Honda, ArcelorMittal and MAGNA – Cosma International), and Plasan for its carbon fibre roof (by Chrysler FIAT, Plasan Carbon Composites).
2013 Judging Panel
|Dr. Jay Baron – President and CEO, Center for Automotive Research, Ann Arbor, MI and director of the CAR’s Coalition for Automotive Lightweighting Materials (CALM)|
|Dr. Royston Jones – Altair ProductDesign Europe President|
|Harvey Bell – Professor of engineering practice and co-director of the Multidisciplinary Design Program at The University of Michigan|
|Lynn Bishop – Vice President of engineering services at Pratt & Miller Engineering|
|Dr. Imtiaz Haque – Founding chair and executive director of the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research|
|Dr. Clemens Schmitz-Justen - Founder and head of strategic consulting, CSJ Schmitz-Justen & Company, former director of international programs at the Clemson University College of Business and Behavioral Science, and former president of BMW Manufacturing LLC in Spartanburg, S.C.|
|Chris Theodore – President of Theodore & Associates automotive industry consulting; former CEO of ASC, Inc., vice president of Ford Motor Co. and senior vice president of DaimlerChrysler; and former executive director of North American advanced vehicle development at General Motors|
Rules of the Altair Enlighten Award
The 2014 Altair Enlighten Award (“Award”) is open to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), systems/parts suppliers and materials suppliers from all automotive industry segments, who are nominated (as defined below) for the Altair Enlighten Award (“Nominee(s)”). Altair Engineering, Inc. (“Altair”) and the Center for Automotive Research (“CAR”) are the sponsors of this Award (Altair and CAR collectively, the “Sponsor”). These Award rules govern the Award (“Award Rules”).
Submitting a Nomination
- A Nomination for a Nominee may be submitted on behalf of an OEM, a supplier or may be a joint Nomination involving two or more entities such as an OEM and a supplier (“Nomination”)
- Nominations from tier-suppliers must have received prior approval from the appropriate OEM before submitting a Nomination for designs
- Multiple Nominations by an organization are acceptable
- A component or system can be submitted for consideration only once.
- The system or component must be fitted to an automotive vehicle (motorcycle, passenger car, light truck, commercial truck or bus) in production anytime between August, 2011, and August, 2014.
- A specific production volume is not a criterion, but a vehicle fitted with the nominated system or component must be available for purchase during the production window specified.
- Aftermarket components are not eligible for the Award nomination
- Nominations must be received between September 1, 2013, and June 13, 2014.
- Entries can only be submitted using the official nomination form available on the AltairEnlighten.com website
- Receipt of a nomination form will be acknowledged via email.
- Additional supporting materials (including pictures, PowerPoint presentations and representative parts) may be provided but must be received before July 13, 2014.
- Submission of a nomination grants Altair permission to publish claims and images provided, with acknowledgement of the rights-holder, for the purposes of Altair Enlighten Prize communications.
- The judging panel consists of an Altair representative and a CAR representative who will chair a group of recognized industry experts.
- Successful entries will:
- Show significant weight saving over a comparable baseline component or system
- Demonstrate a design solution that is novel to the industry
- Preference will be given to entries that:
- Provide a solution that is applicable to other applications/programs
- Deliver a cost-neutral product
- Employ an innovative design process
- Communication about the nomination will be directed solely to the lead contact of the nominating team specified on the nomination form.
- In the event that the lead contact leaves the organization during the judging process, a replacement can be submitted.
- Preliminary judging will be based solely on the quality of the entry submitted via the nomination form and any supporting material provided.
- In some instances the judging committee may contact a nominee for more information.
- Selection of finalists will be made during June and July, 2014; all entrants will be informed of the finalists by August 2014.
- A joint Altair/CAR press release publicly announcing the finalists will be made after the entrants have been informed.
- Communication about final judging will be directed solely to the lead contact on the nominating team.
- Final judging will be based on a presentation made by the nominating team.
- The logistics of the presentation will be arranged individually with each finalist and may be either via a physical meeting or Web conference
- The judging committee will meet to decide the winning entry and honorable mentions during July, 2013.
Altair Enlighten Award Recognition
- The winning entrant(s) will be announced during the CAR Management Briefing Seminar (MBS) 2014 event August 4-7 2014.
- The Altair Enlighten Award trophy will be presented to the winner and honorable mentions announced.
- A joint Altair/CAR press release will be made during MBS.
- This will announce the winner and honorable mentions.
- The winning entrant will be featured in a significant advertisement placed in a major industry magazine.
Requirements of Nominees and Disclosure of Entry
By entering a Nomination for the Award, each Nominee represents and warrants that any information submitted to Sponsor does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party. Sponsor reserves the right to independently verify the originality and ownership of any Nominee’s Nomination, and to validate that said Nomination does not violate the proprietary rights of any third party. By submitting a Nomination, Nominee’s ideas, methods and materials may be made available to the public.
Permission to Publish
Nominees retain ownership of their Nomination(s), including all intellectual property rights which may exist in the Nomination. However, by submitting an Nomination, Nominees grant Sponsor the unconditional and perpetual right, license and consent to reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, and exhibit the Nomination in any media throughout the world, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from Nominee or any other party. Sponsor shall have the right, to use Nominee’s name, product likeness, biography and other information about Nominee in connection with Nominee’s Nomination. By submitting an Nomination, the Nominee further agrees not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against the Sponsor, or any other person, on the grounds that the Sponsor’s use of Nominee’s Nomination as set forth in these Award Rules infringes Nominee’s rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, patent rights, or trademark rights. Nominee further acknowledges that the Sponsor is in no way obligated to protect any intellectual property rights which may exist in the Nomination. It is Nominee’s sole responsibility to secure any intellectual property rights which may exist in Nominee’s Nomination, whether before or after it is submitted.
Release and Limitations of Liability
By participating in the Award, Nominee agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor and its respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Award or receipt or use of any Award, including, but not limited to, any infringement of any third party intellectual property rights in connection with Nominee’s Nomination. Nominee waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
The Award is subject to United States federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void in Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and where prohibited by law. These Award Rules shall be governed under and construed by the laws of the State of Michigan without respect to conflicts of law principles.
Sponsor’s Contact Information
For all questions, please email email@example.com.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.