Meritor, a leader in providing drivetrain and braking solutions for original equipment manufacturers of trucks, today introduced the next generation of its top-selling European axle, the 17X system, at the IAA Hannover Commercial Vehicle Show. The new design provides some significant weight advantages over the previous iteration.
Like passenger cars, heavy good vehicles are increasing required to be ever lighter and ever more fuel efficient. Designed and engineered to be the industry’s lightest axle system in the 13-ton class, the new 17X light has a fully updated design from the axle housing, carrier and brake integration, all aimed at optimizing axle efficiency.
“The 17X light is a perfect example of Meritor’s focus on product innovations that leads to fuel savings, performance efficiency and environmental friendliness,” said Steve Gudgel, managing director, Truck Axles, Europe, Meritor. “This new axle bundles several leading technologies in one axle system to provide customers with superior performance, efficiency and reliability.”
Some of the improvements include:
- New axle housing is 20 percent lighter
- Axle bowl optimized for more efficient oil flow
- New torque plate design gives customers a choice of radial or axial brake mounting
- Differential lock cover uses a light alloy providing a 70 percent weight reduction
- Improved ratios, including the two fastest: 2.31 and 2.47, meet the upcoming emission regulations
The design improvements to the housing and carrier, along with a newly optimized brake and rotor – 410 millimeters instead of 434 millimeters – provide a 15 percent weight reduction. The weight savings achieved from the improved axle and brakes make the new 17X light nearly 40 kilograms lighter than the standard 17X.